Gluten-free banana bread that is only sweetened with honey, maple syrup and a tiny bit of sugar for the cinnamon swirl! It’s soft, moist, and FULL of flavor!
I’ve been baking with butter, all-purpose flour and granulated sugar since before I can remember. Gluten-free, sugar-free baking is fairly new to me but I love the challenge. I eat healthy on a day-to-day basis and I try to stay away from sugar and bread as much as a baking blogger can.
I absolutely love banana bread and grew up eating it almost every week. My mom has the most delicious recipe but it is packed with sugar and oil, so I only eat it on special occasions. I wanted a banana bread that I wouldn’t feel guilty eating in the mornings with ingredients that I was proud to put in my body.
Every time my bananas start going bad, I freeze them. I realized I had lots of bananas in my freezer and they were perfect for this banana bread. Simply thaw the bananas in a colander so the juices will drain off and then mash them in a bowl. I’m a big fan of honey and it was a great substitute for sugar in this recipe. Coconut oil has so many health benefits and it makes this bread super moist and delicious. You would never know this banana bread is “healthy.” My husband tried it and he said, “I don’t even like banana bread but I love this.” Then I told him it was GF and SF 🙂
If you want to make it totally sugar-free, simply omit the cinnamon sugar swirl and topping. It will be just as delicious!
I love knowing a recipe can be just as delicious with healthier ingredients. Happy gluten-free baking!
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
Yields 1, 9x5 loaf
For the Banana Bread:
⅓ cup coconut oil, melted before measuring
½ cup honey
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup milk (I used 2% but any type is fine)
1 ¾ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper going up all the sides and the bottom.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil with honey and maple syrup. Add the eggs, mashed bananas, milk and vanilla and whisk to combine well. If the coconut oil starts to solidify, place it in the microwave for 10 seconds and whisk again.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the liquid mixture and stir until combined.
- In a small separate bowl, combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Pour half of the batter into the lined loaf pan and then sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar on top. Pour the rest of the batter on top and spread it out. Sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar on top and swirl with a knife.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes to cool and then take it out and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
All-purpose or whole wheat flour can be substituted for gluten-free flour.
This banana bread stays fresh wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 3 days.
*Cinnamon sugar swirl is totally optional!